Das Portal ermöglicht, sich schnell einmal eine Zahl (wie viele Studierende gab es zum WS…
The Department of Social Sciences (Institute of Education & Society) at the University of Luxembourg seeks to recruit, within its Faculty of Humanities, Education and Social Sciences,
2 PhD Candidates in Higher Education Research & Science Studies
from 1 February 2022
Fixed-term contract (36 months, extendable up to 48 months) full-time (40 hours per week) | employee and student status
The successful candidates will be members of the Department of Social Sciences, Faculty of Humanities, Education and Social Sciences and the Doctoral School of Humanities and Social Sciences at the University of Luxembourg. You will join the research team “Science Metrics and Global Research Collaborations” (SciMetrics), working with Dr. Jennifer Dusdal and Prof. Justin Powell, to pursue the PhD degree.
- Project-based research at the nexus of sociology of education, higher education research, science studies, bibliometrics, and network analysis. Collaboration within the international Q-KNOW Project «Relational Quality: Quality Development through Collaborative Networks and Collaboration Portfolios» (www.q-know.org; Universities of Hannover, Hamburg, Mannheim & Luxembourg)
- Writing of a PhD dissertation (monograph or cumulative)
- Assisting in the organization of relevant workshops and conferences
- Communication and collaboration with research partners from Europe, North America, Asia and other world regions
- Disseminating results through scientific publications and conference presentations
- (Co-)Teaching, in the MA Program Social Sciences and Educational Sciences (MASSES; masses.uni.lu) and/or other MA programs
What we expect from you…
- Excellent MA degree in Sociology/Social Sciences, Higher Education Research, Science and Technology Studies, Computational Sciences, or related fields. Interests in comparative and international research would be an asset.
- Very good knowledge of empirical social research (quantitative, qualitative, mixed methods), including experience using relevant software (e.g. Stata, SPSS, R, MAXQDA, VOSviewer, Gephi, etc.). Knowledge in analyzing bibliometric data would be an asset.
- Willingness to work in a multicultural, international environment.
- Fluency or very good command of English and German. French and/or Luxembourgish beneficial.
Here’s what awaits you in the SciMetrics Research Team…
You will participate in a stimulating learning environment. An even distribution of post-docs and professors and doctoral candidates translates into close collaborations with experienced researchers. You benefit from extensive guidance, mentorship, and support.
You will join a multicultural, multilingual, and multidisciplinary team of committed and dynamic researchers working at the nexus of higher education research and science studies. Throughout the year, we organize diverse scientific events as well as team-building and networking activities.
You will profit from multiple funding sources to realize your project ideas and opportunities to establish your professional network. Excellent research conditions within one of Europe’s most internationalized and expanding universities.
A highly competitive salary package. The University offers a generous 12 month- salary package, over six weeks of paid time off, comprehensive health insurance, and further cost-of-living subsidies.
- Number of positions: 2
- Contract Type: fixed-term contract of 36 months, extendable up to 48 months
- Work Hours: Full-time 40 hours/week
- Employee and student status
- Foreseen starting date: from February 2022
- Location: Belval
- Job Reference: UOL04590
How to apply…
Applications, written in English or German, should be submitted online by 15.01.2022:
- Motivation letter
- Curriculum Vitae (incl. your contact address, work experience, and publications)
- Research statement and topics of particular interest (2-3 pages)
- Writing sample
- Copies of diplomas and contact information for at least two referees
Please apply formally through the recruitment portal of the University of Luxembourg: https://recruitment.uni.lu/en/. Applications by email will not be considered. This QR-code will directly forward you to the application page:
The University of Luxembourg embraces inclusion and diversity as key values and we are fully committed to removing any discriminatory barrier related to gender in recruitment and career progression of our staff.
About the University of Luxembourg:
The University of Luxembourg is an international research university with a distinctly multilingual and interdisciplinary character. The University was founded in 2003 and counts more than 6,700 students and 2,000 employees from around the world. The University’s faculties and interdisciplinary centers focus on research in the areas of Education, Contemporary and Digital History, Computer Science and ICT Security, Materials Science, European and International Law, and Finance and Financial Innovation. The University will in future also expand its multidisciplinary research in the areas of Data Modelling and Simulation as well as Health and System Biomedicine. Times Higher Education ranks the University of Luxembourg among the top 250 universities worldwide and third in “international outlook”.
The University of Luxembourg is an equal opportunity employer.